US Citizens may obtain an E-Visa for medical treatments or short-term medical procedures. Please contact the consular affairs office assigned to your state of residency if you intend to remain in Kazakhstan for more than 30 consecutive days.
On January 1, 2019 the Republic of Kazakhstan introduced a pilot project procedure for obtaining a single entry visa for foreigners in electronic format.
An electronic visa (business, tourist and medical treatment categories) is being issued in accordance with a valid invitation from the Kazakh side, considered by the migration service units of the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Kazakhstan under the established procedure.
For reference: the Rules for issuing invitations, approving invitations for entry of foreigners and stateless persons to the Republic of Kazakhstan, issuing, cancelling, restoring visas to the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as extending and reduction their validity terms, approved by the Joint Order of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 11-1-2/555 dated November 24, 2016 and the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 1100 dated November 28, 2016. Tourist electronic visas are issued to citizens of 117 states, business and medical treatment visas - 23 states (the list is attached).
Foreigners can enter/exit the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan using valid electronic visas only through the checkpoints of international airports of Nur-Sultan and Almaty.
The electronic visa is issued through the Visa and Migration Portal (www.vmp.gov.kz). The electronic visa is valid only for the visa recipient, it does not apply to accompanying persons and is not extendable. In case of travel document (passport) replacement an electronic visa should be obtained again.
Paid consular fees are not refundable.
Passport provided by a visa recipient should meet the following criteria: 1) not to cause doubts about the authenticity and belonging to its owner, contain reservations, records, erasures and corrections, torn or embroidered pages; 2) to have at least 2 blank pages; 3) to expire not earlier than 3 months from the expiry date of the requested visa; 4) to have marks about extension of validity period.
If the discrepancy of information is determined in the issued electronic visa and travel document certifying the identity of the foreign citizen, the electronic visa will be considered invalid and may cause a denial of entry to the Republic of Kazakhstan. When crossing the State Border of the Republic of Kazakhstan and during stay in the country, a foreign citizen should have a valid travel document (passport) and a printed electronic visa.
Foreign citizens who have valid electronic visas are exempted from registration in migration authorities.
The inviting persons inform the migration authorities about arrived foreigners within three working days.
tourist visa single-entry
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Brunei Darussalam
- Burkina Faso - Upper Volta
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
- Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Faroe Islands
- Marshall Islands
- Myanmar (Burma)
- Papua New Guinea
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Viet Nam
- Valid passport: You must submit your passport valid for at least 3 months longer than the validity of the requested visa. The passport must have at least two blank pages for a visa and for entry and exit stamps.
- Visa Application: A separate visa application form must be completed for each person. All fields must be completed, otherwise your application may be refused. Please see Visa application instructions for details. Download the visa application form.
- Visa Fee Payment: Visa fees must be paid by money order writen to the consular section assigned to the applicant’s state of residency.
- Photo: One passport size (3.5cm x 4.5cm or 5 x 5cm) photo of the applicant, which should be stapled to the marked space in the upper right hand corner of the application form. Please see Photo requirements for details.
- Letter of Request: A letter with a request to issue a visa addressed to the Consular Section of the Embassy of Kazakhstan. Please, indicate your name, the purpose of your trip, your contact in Kazakhstan, the dates of your planned trip, and places to be visited.
- Photocopy of your passport’s main page.
- Citizens whose country does not have a visa-free entry regime with the Republic of Kazakhstan require an invitation letter from Migration Service of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Kazakhstan.
- Self-addressed Envelope: All visa applications must include a self-addressed return envelope with pre-paid postage. Applications are incomplete without this return envelope.
- The visa process takes about 7 business days from the moment the Consular Section receives the documents.
- As of July 1, 2019, all visa applications and most consular documents must be submitted to a consular section in-person by the applicant. Visa applications may not be sent by mail, courier or third-party service. Third-party services may submit applications only for Diplomatic and Service visas.
- Passports must have at least two blank pages for a visa and for entry and exit stamps.
- All visa applications must include a self-addressed return envelope with pre-paid postage. Applications are incomplete without this return envelope.
Visa fees must be paid by money order and made to the consular section assigned to the applicant’s state of residency - either at the Embassy in Washington, D.C., or Consulate General in New York City or San Francisco. One may confirm which states are assigned to each consular section. Visa Fees are not refundable.